The fort has been preserved, and every year the community celebrates Rendezvous Days, which is a free event and open to the public.
From the City of Fort Atkinson website:
In the broader context, the story of the military post of Fort Atkinson is a story of the United States government policy in removing native Americans from the east side of the Mississippi River over to the west side. In the narrower context, the story is about the life of the inhabitants of the ‘neutral ground’ of the northeast Iowa Territory from 1840-1848.
Fort Atkinson Relocation Guide
Please enjoy the following resources as you plan your move to Fort Atkinson:
(Don’t see your business listed? Contact us!)
- Turkey Valley Community School District
- Trinity Catholic School: (563) 569-8556
- Gundersen Lutheran – Calmar Clinic
- Calmar Dental Clinic: (563) 562-3646
- Calmar Family Chiropractic: (563) 562-3362
- Wellspring Holistic & Shamanic
Photo courtesy of: Iowa Travel Advisor.